Segregated fund policies are only available through insurance companies. Our professional fund managers invest in a variety of individual securities—unit values increase or decrease with the performance of the segregated funds you select.
Segregated fund policies are subject to insurance legislation instead of securities legislation. Advantages for some investors include:
- Death benefit and maturity guarantees – Segregated fund policies protect part or all of your capital investment.
- Estate bypass – When you designate a beneficiary, the value of your segregated fund policies flow directly to him or her. In most cases, it bypasses the estate and potential probate fees.
- Creditor protection potential – Laws may protect a segregated fund policy in the event of bankruptcy or other action by creditors. It’s important to note that potential creditor protection depends on court decisions, which can be subject to change and can vary for each province. This protection cannot be guaranteed.
Mutual funds allow individuals to pool their savings in a portfolio of investments managed by professional money managers. Because of the large amount of money in the pool, mutual funds can diversify a portfolio more widely than an individual may be able to when investing on their own.
Features and Benefits
Mutual funds offer a number of features and benefits, including:
- Liquidity – Mutual fund units may generally be redeemed at any time. The redemption value will depend on the unit value on the day of redemption and may be lower or higher than the purchase price.
- Diversification – While an investment in a single company or industry exposes an investor to the ups and downs of that company or industry, mutual funds allow investors to diversify their portfolios among many different companies and industries within Canada and across the world. Through a selection of funds managed by different fund managers, investors may also benefit from diversity of investment style.
- Returns – Mutual funds offer the potential for higher returns compared to guaranteed investment certificates (GICs) and deferred annuities. However, mutual funds also carry more risk.
- Professional management – Unit holders benefit from the expertise of professional managers who have training and experience in the investment field. Fund managers continually research and monitor markets, trends and the companies in which they invest to maintain proper diversification, and to maximize returns consistent with the fund’s objectives.
- Cost-effectiveness – Mutual funds are one of the most cost-effective ways to own a diversified, professionally managed portfolio. Mutual funds allow you to invest in several different companies at a fraction of the cost of buying individual units of each of the companies in similar proportions to the mutual fund.
Our advisors have received industry-sponsored training and have access to unique investment approaches to ensure your goals fit your financial security plan.
Our mutual fund license is held with Quadrus Investment Services Ltd.